Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Christmas spirit?

Being that I live in the fair state of Texas it looks and (at times) feels nothing like Christmas. Well, unless you make the mistake of going into a mall.

So I'm trying to get myself into the holiday spirit by watching some of my favorite Christmas movies.

So far on my list to re-watch this year:
The Muppet Christmas Carol
A Christmas Carol(with Captain Picard Patrick Stewart)
A Christmas Carol (Ultimate Collector's Edition)(B/W & Color)(with Alister Simms. I grew up watching this one.)
The Original Television Christmas Classics (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer / Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town / Frosty the Snowman / Frosty Returns / The Little Drummer Boy)
and the not really Christmas movie but I count it anyways: Holiday Inn (Special Edition)

Anyone have any favorite holiday movies they want to recommend? Or ways to get into the spirit of the season?


Dr. Richard Scott Nokes said...

"Miracle on 34th Street" ... the 1994 version starring Richard Attenborough is the best, I think.

Also, nothing beats "A Charlie Brown Christmas." It's the coolest jazz of the season and teaches some funky dance moves. It's also one of the few Christmas movies that stops for a relevant Scripture recitation.

"Charlie Brown" has some of the best one-liners, too, e.g. "I almost wish there weren't a holiday season. I know nobody likes me. Why do we have to have a holiday season to emphasize it?"

Dr. Virago said...

I second "A Charlie Brown Christmas," but would like to add as well "A Christmas Story." Like Charlie Brown, it's a slightly subversive kid's-eye view of the holiday season.

Cheyanne said...

I know how you feel. The lack of snow here in Southern Cali doesn't exactly inspire holiday cheer. But I'm so glad the Christmas Classics made it onto your list. :-)

The Christmas Classics have been my favorite part of the holidays ever since I was a kid. Every year for as long as I can remember I’ve always looked forward to wrapping up on the couch with my family and watching Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer or Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town, especially.

I’m really glad I don’t have to wait for all of them to come on TV this year, and can finally have all 7 together in one gorgeous package! And that bonus music CD is quite lovely if I do say so myself. You can buy this keepsake edition at any store where you buy DVDs, but did you know it’s also available at http://www.christmasclassics.tv? I only know about it because I work with the company. This is something my family and I will treasure for many holiday seasons to come. And the beautiful packaging really does make it a special gift.

Awesome list! I hope you have time to watch everything.

Happy holidays! :-)

Jennifer Lynn Jordan said...

I second A Charlie Brown Christmas, and add How the Grinch Stole Christmas to the Mix!! And I really do love It's A Wonderful Life.

Anonymous said...

We really love your blog, i haven't seen you keeping the posts in in some time now. Is everything ok. You can reach me here = website traffic@simply pet supplies.com. Thanks Again Rob Dog Crates, Dog Toys ( Dog Supplies & Cat Supplies Pet Store, Dog Collars)

pilgrimchick said...

I watched all of those movies myself this Christmas with the exception of the Christmas Carol with Stewart. I hate to admit that I have never seen it even though I am a huge Captain Picard fan--huge....like embarrasingly owning four of the seven TNG seeasons on DVD.

Jennifer Lynn Jordan said...

Hey there! Did you ever get your Chaucer puppet? Just checking. =)

Tor Hershman said...

I'd suggest "The Homecoming" with Richard Thomas