Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Christmas spirit?

Being that I live in the fair state of Texas it looks and (at times) feels nothing like Christmas. Well, unless you make the mistake of going into a mall.

So I'm trying to get myself into the holiday spirit by watching some of my favorite Christmas movies.

So far on my list to re-watch this year:
The Muppet Christmas Carol
Scrooged
A Christmas Carol(with Captain Picard Patrick Stewart)
A Christmas Carol (Ultimate Collector's Edition)(B/W & Color)(with Alister Simms. I grew up watching this one.)
The Original Television Christmas Classics (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer / Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town / Frosty the Snowman / Frosty Returns / The Little Drummer Boy)
and the not really Christmas movie but I count it anyways: Holiday Inn (Special Edition)

Anyone have any favorite holiday movies they want to recommend? Or ways to get into the spirit of the season?

7 comments:

Dr. Richard Scott Nokes said...

"Miracle on 34th Street" ... the 1994 version starring Richard Attenborough is the best, I think.

Also, nothing beats "A Charlie Brown Christmas." It's the coolest jazz of the season and teaches some funky dance moves. It's also one of the few Christmas movies that stops for a relevant Scripture recitation.

"Charlie Brown" has some of the best one-liners, too, e.g. "I almost wish there weren't a holiday season. I know nobody likes me. Why do we have to have a holiday season to emphasize it?"

Dr. Virago said...

I second "A Charlie Brown Christmas," but would like to add as well "A Christmas Story." Like Charlie Brown, it's a slightly subversive kid's-eye view of the holiday season.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. The lack of snow here in Southern Cali doesn't exactly inspire holiday cheer. But I'm so glad the Christmas Classics made it onto your list. :-)

The Christmas Classics have been my favorite part of the holidays ever since I was a kid. Every year for as long as I can remember I’ve always looked forward to wrapping up on the couch with my family and watching Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer or Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town, especially.

I’m really glad I don’t have to wait for all of them to come on TV this year, and can finally have all 7 together in one gorgeous package! And that bonus music CD is quite lovely if I do say so myself. You can buy this keepsake edition at any store where you buy DVDs, but did you know it’s also available at http://www.christmasclassics.tv? I only know about it because I work with the company. This is something my family and I will treasure for many holiday seasons to come. And the beautiful packaging really does make it a special gift.

Awesome list! I hope you have time to watch everything.

Happy holidays! :-)

Jennifer Lynn Jordan said...

I second A Charlie Brown Christmas, and add How the Grinch Stole Christmas to the Mix!! And I really do love It's A Wonderful Life.

pilgrimchick said...

I watched all of those movies myself this Christmas with the exception of the Christmas Carol with Stewart. I hate to admit that I have never seen it even though I am a huge Captain Picard fan--huge....like embarrasingly owning four of the seven TNG seeasons on DVD.

Jennifer Lynn Jordan said...

Hey there! Did you ever get your Chaucer puppet? Just checking. =)

said...

I'd suggest "The Homecoming" with Richard Thomas