Wednesday, October 18, 2006

They're banning WHAT?

Tag. They're banning tag.

I'm sorry but what?

What?!

You know the way schools and many parents act you'd think a good deal more of us died in horrible way in the past few generation from games like tag, dogeball, and red rover.

Isn't it enough that most schools don't have separate recess periods anymore? Or that PE in many places in once a week for 30 minutes and that included the time it takes to dress out?

Kids LOVE chase games. I play a form of tag almost everyday I work aftercare, and those are four and five year olds. They love it. They're tug on my hands saying "Chase me, Ms. Geek. Catch me!"

Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.


No, lady. YOU feel safer.

I've seen many collisions and the kids most of the time pick themselves up, laugh, and start running again. Sometimes they need a hug, a big smile, and a "hey your okay right?". But then they're nod give you a hug back and off they go again. After a few collisions they get better at avoiding them and actually like the 'near collision' part.

I expect to see kids playing little league with soft foam bats and balls, covered head to toe in padding at this rate.

Let kids be kids. Let them have their fun and learn from it. I mean I used to have sword fights with very large sticks with a boy down the street and I turned out just fine.

No comments: