Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Notes

In the future when having brilliant ideas about reforming social/academic clubs remember that this brings one in contact with bureaucracy.

This would be so much easier if I didn't live an hour (hour and half with traffic) away from my campus.

On a minor note we had a wonderful pre-class discussion/debate about why book burning is immoral. Which it is in my opinion and in (thankfully) most of my fellow classmates opinions. A quote I've heard before and I think needs repeating(and I paraphrase) "A society that burns books will soon burn people." As my professor pointed out by burning a book you are not just expressing your own opinion but violently suppressing ideas. Even if you do not burn all copies of a book you have still suppressed the idea.

1 comment:

zillah975 said...

As my professor pointed out by burning a book you are not just expressing your own opinion but violently suppressing ideas. Even if you do not burn all copies of a book you have still suppressed the idea.

Good point. And even if a person doesn't agree with the last sentence, it can't be denied that book-burning is at least an aggressive attempt to wipe out or suppress an idea. The notion that people would be next - maybe not literally burned, but certainly acted against, whether through intimidation, threats, or lawmaking - isn't far-fetched at all.