Friday, April 21, 2006

Poetry Friday-the Uncle Shelby edition


I spent many happy hours with Uncle Shelby.

Uncle Shelby might more well know to some of you as Shel Silverstein.

Here are four poems from three of his books.

'Prayer of the selfish child' from A Light In the Attic
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
And if I die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my toys to break.
So none of the other kids can use 'em...
Amen.

'The lost Cat' from the same book. (Fellow cat owners, we all know we've said something similar at least once)
We can't find the cat,
We don't know where she's at,
Oh where did she go?
Does anyone know?
Let's ask this walking hat.

'The Voice' from Falling Up
There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
"I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you-just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.

'The Battle' from Where the Sidewalk Ends
Would you like to hear
Of the terrible night
When I bravely fought the-
No?
All right.

Shel Silverstien died in 1999.

No comments: